~‘Ola Offline’ now rolled out in key metros after pilot in smaller towns~
~With a brigade of 450,000 cabs across categories in 102 cities, this feature will ensure access to mobility for every Indian, with or without Internet~
New Delhi, October 04, 2016: In a bid to ensure continuous access to mobility, Ola, India’s most popular mobile app for transportation, today announced the launch of ‘Ola Offline’ across key metros in India. As the name suggests, the feature will enable customers to book a cab even without Internet on their smartphones. Ola has been piloting the feature in smaller towns and cities since June this year. Learnings from these markets, need for access to mobility even in the absence of Internet connectivity and constraints in the current data and connectivity infrastructure, has paved way to the launch of this innovative feature for India. Starting with four metro cities, Ola plans to roll out the feature in rest of the cities, over the coming weeks.
Mobility is a critical cog in the wheels of a developing nation and citizens should have access to convenient and affordable solutions at all times. Although over 46 crore people in the country today have access to internet, it still only accounts for 34% of the population. A vast majority of the populace even today, struggles to get adequate data connectivity at all times. In India, users are more inclined towards prepaid mobile service, making them more vulnerable to running out of data. Spotty 3G and 4G coverage also account for a fair amount of data connectivity issues, even in Tier 1 cities. With the launch of ‘Ola Offline’, Ola is aiming to reach out to these people with an endeavor to provide seamless and consistent access to mobility, at all times. The feature will be available across all cab categories viz. Micro, Mini, Prime and Lux.
How ‘Ola Offline’ works:
- While attempting to book a cab on the Ola app in the absence of an Internet connection, users will now get two options : Retry or Book via SMS
- Customers can choose to Retry if they’ve come to a place with better Internet connectivity, or go with the second option
- On selecting the latter, users will get redirected to their default messaging app where they will see a pre-entered text message requesting Ola to book a cab
- On sending the text message, users will get an SMS with the particulars of the nearest available cabs across categories
- Once they select their preferred cab category, they will receive driver and cab details instantly by SMS
- The driver on the other hand will also receive customer contact details and the GPS triangulated location of the user. Once the internet connectivity resumes, the ride details, GPS tracking, SOS button, and other features associated with the ride will be available for the user on the Ola app.Speaking on this innovative feature, Ankit Bhati, CTO & Co-Founder, Ola said, “As the country ushers in the digital revolution with projects such as Digital India and Smart Cities, the way users experience technology is changing. While connectivity continues to be an infrastructural challenge, we are constantly building innovative technology that helps fill the gap, and the launch of the ‘Offline feature’ is a major step in that direction. We understand that while an Ola might be available around you, a working Internet connection might not always be. Ola Offline will now plug this gap.” He further added, “Mobility is an integral part of a developing economy. It should not stop, irrespective of any technology or infrastructural constraint. We will constantly look at innovative ways to realise our mission of building mobility for a billion Indians.”
The ‘Offline’ feature was piloted in several smaller markets like Indore and Nagpur, and saw significant acceptance among the consumers in these cities over the past few weeks. Following its success in these markets, the feature will be rolled across all the 102 cities that Ola operates in.
‘Ola Offline’, like other innovative features viz. ‘Ola WiFi’, ‘2G optimization’ and ‘Regional language support’ have been built on very local insights. A diverse country like India faces multiple challenges when it comes to offering a seamless mobility experience, and Ola with its wide variety of offerings including auto-rickshaws, e-rickshaws, Kali-Peelis, is successfully offering consistent and affordable mobility solutions across the 102 cities it operates in.