Reliance Industries chief Mukesh Ambani unleashed his telecom disruptor Jio, announcing free voice calls and zero roaming charges for its customers. Ambani’s big switch from oil to mobile was announced at the company’s 42nd AGM on Thursday.
“Jio’s 4G network covers 18,000 cities and towns, and over 2 lakh villages. By March 2017, we will cover 90% of India’s population. It will be largest 4GE network today,” he said.
Reliance has tied up with around 20 smartphone brands including Samsung, Micromax and LG to bundle Jio SIM cards with them with free voice and data for three months.
Ambani has also set a target of getting 100 million customers in the shortest possible time, for the ‘young’ Jio team.
Ambani listed out Jio’s road map, saying it was based on 10 points. “It has the best quality broadband network, affordable 4G devices, compelling content, superior service and affordable tariff.
This what a Jio customer will get:
1. Starting Monday, September 5, Jio’s boquet of apps, all services available for everyone absolutely free. Till 31 December 2016.
2. By March 2017, we’ll cover 90% of India’s population.
3. The JioFi router has been launched at just Rs. 1,999.
4. New Lyf devices starting at Rs. 2,999.
5. More than 70% of all devices sold in India support 4G LTE. And that soon that will be 100 percent.
6. 1 million wifi hotspots across India
7. 25% extra data for students holding a valid id card
8. 2.8 million songs, 6000 movies and thousands of magazines and newspapers to be added for Jio customers
9. Reliance launced Jio Money for customers to go cashless with the help of this digital wallet
10. There will be no blackout dates for Jio customers. No extra charges for festive days. Customers can access their bill at real-time after ecery transaction.